No specific reason why I decided to have Egg Kurma for the menu but when I started there were other things on mind suddenly I recollected there had been more Egg on the menu these days and the same taste would really change the need for more Eggs anymore and then my choice of ingredients changed and finally here this delicious and aromatic Kurma.
Eggs - 6-7 nos.
Red Onion - 1 large
Tomatoes - 3 large
Ginger - 1 1/2 inches
Garlic - 7-8 cloves
Green Chillies - 4 nos.
Coconut - 2-3 inch long piece
Sesame Oil - 2 tbsps
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Bay Leaf - 2
Water as needed
Salt to taste
Fennel Seeds - 2 tbsps
Poppy Seeds - 2 tsps
Red Chilly Powder - 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tbsp
Coriander Powder - 3 tbsps
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Pepper Corns - 2 tbsps (freshly ground)
Coriander Leaves finely chopped
1. Finely chop Onion, slice Tomatoes. Scrape the back of the Coconut piece and cut into small pieces and grind it thoroughly well with some 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup of Water.
2. Peel Garlic and Ginger. Paste Garlic, Ginger, Green Chillies and 2 tbsps of chopped Onion with some Water if needed.
3. Powder 2 tbsps of Fennel Seeds and Poppy Seeds (dry ground using a hand motar).
4. Heat Oil, throw in the Mustard Seeds, 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds and Bay Leaves. When Mustard Seeds splutter add the chopped Onions and cook until golden brown on low flame.
5. Now add the Ginger-Garlic paste (step 2) and cook on medium flame until the raw smell disappears and Oil oozes out.
6. Next goes the Fennel & Poppy Powder, Red Chilly Powder, Coriander Powder and Garam Masala and cook for few mins. Add the chopped Tomatoes, Red Chilly Powder and Salt cook until they become tender and mushy. Throw the Turmeric Powder in it.
7. After its cooked add 4 cups of Water and Salt bring it to a boil, then break the Eggs and let it cook by increasing the flame.
8. In about 10-15 mins the Eggs will be cooked, pour the blended Coconut Milk (straining is optional) and ground Pepper Corns simmer and cook for 5 mins. Garnish with Coriander Leaves and serve hot.
Serve with: Hot Rice or Dosa
I am sending my Egg Kurma to
Siri's - JFI Fennel